Sunday, October 11, 2009

current events and things

For the first time in a while, I've been slow at posting stuff on here. I can't believe that I've already put 50 blogs on here so far in 2009! Since Myspace is slowly self-destructing, you can probably see why. So much has gone on in the world so I think I'll add my two cents to certain topics.

--The Cardinals. They played a great season, not including postseason. Redbird fans had plenty to celebrate all summer while going to Baseball City and enjoying a game. (I actually went to a game in early September) Everyone knows about the big loss we suffered this weekend. As Bernie Miklasz of the Post Dispatch put it, 'The Cardinals go out with a whimper...'. I couldn't agree more. I can't play better baseball, but those players are getting nice salaries for a reason and they're lucky to be on a team with the greatest loyal fans. As I bid a congratulations to Joe Torre's Dodgers, I must admit it did not go well all three games. As I was watching most of the players (mostly outfielders), I couldn't help but notice we gave up. Sure, we got NL Central Division title. But you gotta go as far as you can. And on top of that we won more games against the Dodgers more than lost. Sure, most of it was during Manny Ramirez's suspension. Speaking of which, every time I saw his cocky face and attitude, I couldn't help but use my middle finger at the TV each time. As for the future of Pujols, Holliday and LaRussa, who knows. I know the Cards GM is trying to keep them on the team, but LaRussa's future may be bleak with the Cards. There's always next year, as they say. Despite of all this, St. Louis baseball had one thing to celebrate this year: the hosting of the All Star Game. And the new I-64 will be named after Jack Buck. Now that's a winner.

--The Rams. I don't follow pro football, so it would be wrong for me to criticize. I'm just sick of hearing about their embarrassing losing streak, that's all. I admit I'm a fairweather fan at times. So throw in your opinions here. I just can't believe at the start of this decade, the Rams were unstoppable Super Bowl champs, and from there it all went south. Now at the close of this decade, we've become the laughingstock. It just shows that what goes up must come down.

--Obama's Nobel Prize. I'm torn on this one, as this has gotten mixed reactions. I can't take away the fact that Obama helped unite this nation during our struggles (well, most of the time!). And he became the first African-American President after years of racial struggles in this country. But 60 million people didn't vote for him because he was black. They thought he had all the answers to help fix our economy and change our world view. I know I've said a lot of things about me disagreeing with Obama's ideas and solutions, as I won't get into. I'm saving all of that for later. Going back to the Nobel Prize win, I know he didn't personally apply for it and he didn't ask for it. Obama himself was shocked and humbled at this win. He may not think he'd deserving. But if I were offered it, I'd take it. Yes, I still think its very odd to put him in a class with Lech Walesa and Nelson Mandela, as they've gone through so much to earn this award. Some people believe the Nobel Peace Prize is just an item, and it doesn't matter anymore, since people like Yasir Arafat, and later on, Jimmy Carter and Al Gore, have also won the Peace Prize.

That's all for now, but I'm sure I got plenty of topics that I forgot to write about.

I'll close with this question: Since '06, I've built a small following here on Myspace writing blogs and its always been fun posting stuff on here. But as said earlier, as more people are turning away from Myspace, it's been getting less fun. I know I still have readers and all, and I thank you all! I was considering at one point putting new blogs on Facebook. What's stopping me is this: I don't personally like how Facebook advertises the heck out of what I put on Facebook. I'll try to explain this more. Here on Myspace, people have the choice of going to my profile and reading my blogs (and at times, subscribing). On Myspace, there is no newsfeed, unless you've 'subscribed' to a particular friend. I like this more than how Facebook does it, which is automatically putting everything I do on a newsfeed so everyone can see it. I don't like to be overexposed that much, as I know it can alienate someone. Yes, I'm proud of what I do. But too much is too much. I'm not sure if there's ways I can control that, but maybe I'll try it later on. I'm also not sure if there are ways to subscribe to Facebook blogs. Also on a side note, I don't like how Facebook calls them 'Notes'. I have a Blogger account, but most of the time I feel like I'm talking to myself on there.

No comments:

Post a Comment