Thursday, December 17, 2009

just family stuff

It's not often I write about my family on here, but only because there's really not much to talk about. Sometimes there's things that go on between my mom's side of the family, such as my mom and her mother not getting along most of the time. I usually don't like to talk about my problems on here since I know you have problems of your own. And if you don't you're lying! Okay, what I am saying is everyone has their share at most times. I thought I'd write an update on how my grandmothers are doing. They are not doing so good health-wise, but the good news is its nothing deathbed-like. Just a lot of major changes underway.

My Grandma Young (maternal) just had skin cancer surgery and she is fully recovering right now. She had the work done two days ago (my mom's 63rd birthday) but as of now, she's pretty much on her feet. Needless to say, it wasn't really much of a great day for my mom since she had to be at her assistance most of the time. At 84, my grandma still gets around, but sadly she doesn't get active in activities. She's not even in the mood to get out for Christmas. We would go over to her house, but she's embarrassed about how messy her house has been getting. But I know I'll catch up with her soon.

Meanwhile, my Grandma Voigt fell recently at her apartment. Unfortunately it wasn't the first time it has happened this year but she is trying to get back on her feet. This is the part where it may get depressing. She'll walk again, but my dad fears that she'll continue to trip herself again judging by how she was walking around her hospital room. I visited her at Highland Hospital (or now called St. Josephs) last week and she was glad to see me. She will turn 92 on December 31. My dad and uncle obviously decided not to renew her drivers license. Dad even made the comment that she may end up in a nursing home soon if she doesn't take care of herself. Its a common thing to know that as you age, you get less hungry and sometimes people refuse to eat. That has been the way it was with my grandma, even though she walks to McDonalds in Highland (its just down the street). On top of that, her memory is becoming more short-term. Nothing like Alzheimers, if you know what I mean. She does keep up well on news since she reads the Post Dispatch all the time, as well as tabloids. She does repeat things over and over. I'm just happy she knows who I am still. It is also common to know that as someone loses their memory, they can still tell great stories from 'back in the day' going back to 50 or even 75 years ago. On a brighter note, my Grandma Voigt had a burn removed on her leg. My dad said that 60+ years ago, she burned her leg from a sun lamp.

So, that's an update. I will definitely bear with my parents as well as my uncle as they go through this tough transitional phase. They will definitely be taking turns doing the taxi service, as well as running errands. I even volunteered to help out. So, wish us all luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment