Thursday, March 5, 2009

The Internet is full of memes

I've been wanting to write about a bunch of stuff lately on here but I haven't since I've been sick. It is now week 3. First I had shingles, now I believe its the flu. But I'm at the stage where its all sinuses, so I should go uphill from here. But the weather guy said this month (March) will be the worst in flu and colds. So be aware of what's going around.

So while I've been sick, I've been definitely using my laptop to the greatest advantage, mostly using those socialnet sites and keeping tabs with everyone I don't check on all the time. I know there's some that are reading this that are not on facebook, so bear with me a little here. When I get on fb, usually the first thing I do is go down the newsfeed, and its the same people who get mentioned. On the newsfeed, it will say (depending on the person) that so-and-so was 'tagged in an album'. Lately the last 2 weeks I've been noticing a picture of, I guess, a chart. There's about a few twitches here and there, but they all talk about grouping people and I guess, stereotyping, like who's loud, who's likely to have a good time, who's likely to take a s**t, list goes on and on. Honestly, I don't find this Internet meme that amusing. If someone wants to tag me, and find where I fit mostly in, then awesome. But this makes me wonder how everyone is all up in the air over this stupid diogram that relates to h.s. yearbook days.

Meme #2: I've noticed the last few months (or ever since he performed at the Macy's T-day parade), that Rick Astley has been making quite a comeback. Who's Rick Astley? This guy was a musical hit machine in the late-80s, when I was beginning grade school. You probably heard his biggest hits 'Never Gonna Give You Up' and 'She Wants to Dance With me'. I've been noticing the last year that a lot of Internet stuff related to Rick Astley, so I was trying to figure out what in the world was going on. According to his wikipedia page, Rick is part of an Internet meme called 'Rickrollin', where people get tricked by being linked to something. But the link ends up being his 'Never Gonna Give You Up' video (no wonder its gotten over 16 million views!). Now what 80s hasbeen singer should be revived for Internet fame? I'm predicting Howard Jones.

Meme #3: If you take a picture of yourself everyday for 6 years, or 2 months, then the public will indeed love it. Just ask Noah Kalina, who has gotten great fame (hey, he got to meet Weird Al and Paris Hilton!) for his amazing art. You may have already seen it already on Youtube, where Noah took a picture of himself everyday for 6 years. It's not too bad to watch. Only bad thing is it spawned off so many lame imatators, but some are actually inspiring like the weight-loss ones.

More to come soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment