Sunday, November 15, 2009

new documentary ideas

I've been wanting to get a great HD camcorder for a while, and unfortunately I haven't really saved up for one. I still don't know which is the best out there, and I know that every year they change, feature-wise, so it doesn't matter on timing.

For a while now, I've been wanting to do a follow-up to my short project that I did 2 1/2 years ago for school. Not necessarily a sequel, but a more updated short documentary on the still-growing online social networking trend. As most of us know, so much has changed since the Spring of '07, and its almost 2010. Here's a look:

-Facebook has definitely expanded bigtime. Their experiment from being a college/h.s. student only site to an all ages site has paid off well. I even know an 80-year old lady that regularly uses FB.

-Myspace. I've already pointed out several times in this blog that there is a slow poison that's turning people away from this site, which was once known as 'the granddaddy of them all'

-Twitter. Unfortunately not everyone I know personally uses Twitter, but its good to keep tabs with people's microblogs, depending on who you follow. It has also given way to the new saying, "50 years ago, people did what they could to find the news. Today, the news finds YOU'. As of now, there is a celebrity trend on Twitter. Some of you may disagree with me on this one.

-Going back to Facebook, there have been numerous changes, besides the audience. When I did the short doc in early '07, there were no 'applications' and not many people were comfortable with the 'news feed'. There were no fan pages back then, or Farmtown, or Mafia Wars. There were even no 'Friend Suggestions' or 'People You May Know' links. There were even no 'Like' or hell, even no status comments back then either. Perhaps in early 2010 we'll finally see a 'dislike' button? Maybe. It would be fun to point out so many of these changes.

-Youtube. While its not really a socialnet site, people have been utilizing it to promote themselves bigtime.

Next year, or when I hopefully get my camcorder, I would like to do another short documentary project just for fun. This will be in the same format as my previous one. I want there to be a mixture of interviews, debates, and of course, what people would consider it, my deadpan style of humor. This is just a thought for now, and I hope this will help me regain my confidence in video editing and making.

No comments:

Post a Comment