Thursday, November 26, 2009

tis' the season for some great Christmas/holiday tunes

NOTE: I first published this on 12/1/2006 on my Myspace blog. I decided to repost this for my eHow/Blogger readers. Checkitout.

Alright, one of my favorite times of the year-Christmas! What I like most about it (I don't even care about the presents anymore...) is the spirit, the love, and the music. Hell, I even like the food!

Every year, I pull out all the great Christmas music we all grew up with. I usually make CDs for my workplace bc now I have this reputation as the dj there. Which I don't mind, of course. As much as I hate to say this, but holiday music sounds a lot better from dead people, or people who are now deceased. Bing Crosby. Karen Carpenter. Nat King Cole. John Lennon. There are also a few exceptions on the deceased one. There are tunes that we love to hear each year that we expect to get sick of, but for some reason we never do and we look forward to hearing them after Thanksgiving. So I came up with my personal Top 25 of my favorite holiday tunes. I'm positive that most of you are familiar with all of these versions. These are not ranked in any order.

1. "A Holly Jolly Christmas"-Burl Ives

2. "Merry Xmas (War Is Over)"-John Lennon & the kids. This is a song you can't touch. I've heard this redone by a few and any revision to this song sucks.

3. "The Christmas Song (Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire)"-Nat King Cole. There are actually 4 different versions of this song put out, but I like the earliest of all of them.

4. "It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year"-Andy Williams

5. "Sleigh Ride"-TLC, this is one of the hipper versions of this song, and they add a verse on this one.

6. "Little Saint Nick"-Beach Boys

7. "Christmas Wrapping"-Waitresses. One of the few great 80s New Wave holiday songs

8. "Feliz Navidad"-Jose Feliciano

9. "Jingle Bell Rock"-Bobby Helms. How can you not like this song (or version)? Hall & Oates actually did a great version as well.

10. "Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree"-Brenda Lee. Another song that we never get sick of. It's the classicness of this song.

11. "Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer"- Elmo and Patsy. Another classic.

12. "Wonderful Christmastime"-Paul McCartney. Sounds like it was written in two minutes, but hey you gotta admit its PAUL MCCARTNEY! The music sounds good, too.

13. "Do They Know It's Christmas"-Band Aid. The song that sparked the charity revolution. All Brits united as one. I don't recommend the updated 2004 version of this song.

14. "My Favorite Things"-Diana Ross & the Supremes

15. "Christmas Is The Time To Say I Love You"-Billy Squier. An unlikely Holiday classic, but it's actually better to hear when you're in a bar-type atmosphere.

16. "White Christmas"-Bing Crosby. Of course.

17. "The Chipmunk Song"-Chipmunks

18. "Baby It's Cold Outside"-Royal Crown Revue. I've heard many great pairings for this song, but this one stands out mostly.

19. "Blue Christmas"-Elvis Presley

20. "Winter Wonderland"-Eurythmics

21. "Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!"-?

22. "Christmas at Ground Zero"-Weird Al Yankovic. I'm a huge Weird Al fan, and so it's likely I would include this Phil Spector parody on this list.

23. "Jingle Bell Rock"-Wayne Newton. Wait, what's a goofball like him doing on this list, you ask? This version of JBR comes to a close second. Give it a listen.

24. "Little Drummer Boy"-Dandy Warhols. A modern song, but for some reason no other version of this song turns me on.

25. "The Hanukkah Song"-Adam Sandler. Okay, so I'm not Jewish or anything. But worth putting on here.

No comments:

Post a Comment