Monday, April 6, 2009

It's Like That

(I decided to do a two-parted blog. The title is inspired by one of the classic songs in the history of rap music, 'Its Like That' by Run DMC (who was just inducted in the Rock and Roll HOF). The song has lyrics that actually make sense, and they related to what times were like in 1983 and it looks like times are going back to the way they were. Give it a listen sometime!)

I thought I'd dedicate this blog to those who have lost jobs or have loved ones/close friends who have lost them as well. I was talking to a friend about this issue (his wife recently lost her job) and I was pretty much telling him everyday I am thankful that I am employed. He made a quote that I wished that everyone else today would agree on: A job is a job is a job.

Sure, I do feel kind of weird that I'm still working at the same place that I have since high school. And a lot of people are still shaking their heads that I have almost been there for eleven years. I do complain alot about my job, since they have done so many changes. Don't get me wrong, I do like change. But too many changes at the same time is too much for anyone. For as little as I get paid an hour, and with me not having a title (I chose not to have one), I'm pretty much doing almost the same work as an assistant manager. They do feel me on that one, but most of it is beyond their control. As I said, many changes have taken place, such as moving stuff around and eliminating shelves and stuff so the company can get money back for selling the shelves as scrap metal and stuff. If you've been to Steak 'n Shake lately, you'll notice a lot of changes to the menu. We've eliminated our taco salads and yogurt shakes to adding hot dogs (or in SnS terms, Steak Franks) and perhaps our most popular new addition, the Steakburger shooters. I'm already getting tired of making those little things hee hee. But it definitely shows that we're competing with all the other big-name restaurants. Another complaint I've had about the job is that I've been working with so many new people lately. And most of them are knuckleheads who don't really care as much to be there and make money. Working overnights has a lot of positives and a lot of negatives, but it has been taking ahold of me.

Overall, I've found that SnS has been my comfort zone for me. Some people are great to work with, and some (again) are just plain knuckleheads that don't deserve to be there. After all, I've seen a million faces and I've rocked them all. A lot of people look up to me (seemingly?) and I'm always the person to go to on certain issues. Sometimes it can be too much. It's been my second home for many years now. As I'm looking into my next career change, I do consider myself lucky for still having a job. That may sound silly to some because of me having a college degree, and I'm on the same level as several people I work with that didn't finish high school. I don't find it degrading at all, as some may feel about me. After all, a job is a job is a job. I still have people ask me when am I gonna find my 'real job', but I don't let it bother me anymore since these clueless people don't keep up with how times are.

I think about other people who work in their great professions all the time and how they feel secure or not. Especially those who come to Steak 'n Shake all the time and those who can afford a big meal for them and their friends at 3 in the morning. Sometimes I ask myself, what recession? Our business arguably has increased and I feel it will continue to do so as the weather gets better. I've never seen it so busy in March.

I also think about those who have lost their jobs and have a hard time finding a new one. I know they have to make plenty of sacrifices and change their lifestyles a bit. But I do hope they learn from everything from the good to the bad. I would dispense advice, but it would be wrong for me to do so (for personal reasons). I will say this: there are over 1000 different ways to make money. No, I don't mean get-rich-quick, but I would experiment with new things as time progresses.

No comments:

Post a Comment