Sunday, July 12, 2009

texting

I will admit that I'm not the biggest fan of texting. Yes, I do it, mostly during times when I'm not feeling conversational and if I know the person's hard to get ahold of I will pay a dime or two to my bill and text. At first I didn't see a point in texting, but I can now get a great perspective on why I would do it if I had to. I really don't like watching people especially people ten years younger (or older) than me text. It's not that I'm jealous, it's just that people are so in their own world all the time and I'm afraid to say this but people are just getting, well, dumb. And dumber. Okay, maybe too harsh (lol), but antisocial in person. It's unfortunate that technology is turning people into narcissism and antisocial-ness. It's also very unfortunate that people text and drive at the same time. Near my house is one of the Glen Carbon fire stations, and on the letter-sign there's always an inspiring message about safety. Last month's was 'Don't text and drive. Be safe. Death is forever..'.

And speaking of lol and dumbing things down, it's pretty much our vocabulary has been slimming down. ttyl and g2g are unfortunately becoming our language. Will our next bible or any piece of literature be translated to that? Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the changing times, but jeez, people, learn how to spell words out! Sorry, it's all about decency for me. I just don't want to have a President later on who will build his campaign around those abbreviations and win.

Whoops! I forgot to link this article here on my blog, which is the reason I wrote this post in the first place: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,531684,00.html?test=latestnews It's about a teen who's walking down NY street while texting and falls into a manhole. It's tragic, but I actually laughed at first. But, for future reference, a safety tip: don't text and move at the same time.


Well, time to stop writing and go to Fan Fest today. I know it'll be a great time with my nephs and sis. Sheryl Crow and Elvis Costello were awesome last night. It was a cool night underneath the arch. The fireworks were great too.

Happy texting!

No comments:

Post a Comment