Wednesday, August 26, 2009

300!

As some of you may know I've been trying to watch a lot of movies and catch up on movie culture. And I've been keeping track of every one that I watch just to wonder how many movies an average person like myself can handle. 2 years ago I wrote a blog about how my list was at 200. My goal by the end of August was to get that number to 300. Well, it finally increased, in large part since I got out of school a year and a half ago. When I was in college, I didn't watch a lot of movies bc I felt I wasn't being productive. The only bad thing was I lost my touch and I was left out in conversations. But that's all changed now :)

What was the 300th movie that I watched? None other than 300. I know the movie is over two years old, but I've heard nothing but positive reviews about it. I'm trying to be very diverse in my movie-watching. I don't care how controversial, violent, or soft the movie is. I want to build a broad perspective on several themed movies. I wanted to test by what calendar decade of movies I watched the most:

1910s: 1
1920s: 1
1930s: 6
1940s: 1
1950s: 5
1960s: 12
1970s: 22
1980s: 63
1990s: 89
2000s: 101
(...and yes that number adds up to 300)

I thought it was very interesting that the most movies I watched came from the current decade...which is about to come to an end. I think its because of so many movies coming out and easier access to things these days. You may wonder why I watched more movies from the '30s than the 1910s, 1920s and 1940s combined. I believe that during that time it was Hollywood's Golden Age (with the help of TCM, and my mom's Shirley Temple movies). By the way, that lone film I saw from the 1940s was 'Casablanca'. I hope those numbers increase soon. My goal is to watch most of the Academy winners and watch all Top 100 AFI films.

Oldest movie I've seen: 'The Cheat' came out in 1915. Obviously a silent, it was one hour and six minutes long, but still qualifies as a movie

Newest movie I've seen: 'I Love You Man'. Sorry, I don't go to the movies as much anymore. It almost costs me $15 for crying out loud! On top of that, it comes out on Redbox three months later


If you wanna see my list, here's the link: http://www.imdb.com/mymovies/list?l=7430684

No comments:

Post a Comment