Sunday, August 9, 2009

M.I.A. (or why I will not be found at my high school reunion)

Greetings, all! I just got word that my high school class will be having their 10-year reunion in exactly a year from now (8/14/2010). For some reason, it doesn't make me feel old. But I still can't believe its been 9 years since we all came together!

But unfortunately, unless I get a sudden change of heart, by no means I plan to go to the reunion. The following paragraphs are pretty much about me ranting, and it may sound depressing. I'm not trying to get anyone's sympathy. In other words, you'll hear a very personal side of me. So if you're interested, read on.

It's just that, I wasn't that close to my high school classmates. I did have a few friends plus a number of people I was cool with. But I didn't hang around with that many people outside of class. That all didn't take place until my college days. Needless to say, my college days I'll treasure 5X more than my h.s. days. I wasn't in any clique. I doubt if anyone will agree with me on this one, but to me it just seemed that my class was divided in two classes: the losers and the popular preps. I could define those in many ways, but it may offend some people. Many cliques weren't that accepting. So when I was at EHS, I couldn't wait to get out. I just wasn't feeling it.

Later in years, I have mended my ties with several classmates (thanks to the Internet), and one of my best friends happens to be Jeff Putnick (who I usually hang out with). Jeff pretty much shares the same opinion as me as far as the reunion. In high school, he was popular and at one point was elected to the homecoming court. But now he feels far behind in life and all his friends are gone. (By the way, Jeff refuses to be on these socialnet sites) I'm glad to say that some of my peers and I re-clicked here on Myspace and Facebook. Some have even taken the time to get to know me more.

Despite of my lack of interest in going, I do like to keep track on my peers from high school. I'm interested in what they're doing. I would be proud to know that they are doing stuff they love, whether its being a millionaire or raising a family already. I'm mostly shocked that some of my classmates married each other, while some got married early (no offense to some out there!). I do know of the 520+ people I graduated with, at least four are deceased (since graduation). If anyone really wants to know about me, I'll just tell 'em that I'm currently working on my personal and career change, which is true.

So, in other words, I've moved on from my high school days and peers. I am glad to say I get along good with most of them more than I have before, but there's still the majority of people that didn't care too much about me (therefore I didn't care about them at all). My grandfather once said, 'High school days are supposed to be the best days of your life'. But I must disagree. High school has always meant to be hell for most of us, as we learn to better ourselves afterwards.

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment