Monday, September 14, 2009

kanyegate

I know you're all sick of hearing about Kanye's outburst that happened last night at the VMA's, but as a music enthusiast/historian, I'd like to share my two cents. And yes, I know there's more important things to talk about, like the upcoming health-care thing and protests (I hope to finally write a blog about it soon). But first, let's have a moment of silence for Patrick Swayze. Me and him go way back when I idolized him in 'Dirty Dancing' back in the late 80s. He was as smooth and suave as he can be up until the end of his life. He was also one of the very few Hollywoodies that devoted much time to his family while maintaining a career. He's now literally a ghost, and may he rest in peace.

I was hanging out at the radio station when the Awards happened, so I actually didn't watch it and I didn't know 'till this morning. But the first thing I saw as I opened my Yahoo start page, was that picture of Kanye with big headlines, with a stunned Taylor Swift. I had to see what was going on. After reading and watching it, I had to analyze everything. Why? Who? What caused him to do this? Is he on drugs or is he just an attention whore?

I think Kanye West and Taylor Swift are both talented musicians. Taylor is a good role model for her demographics group and she was one of those who worked her way from the anchor to get where she is. She's doing very fine for a Country musician on an independent label. Kanye is a great producer, and sometimes a good rapper (some of it is unlistenable like Twista's 'Slow Jams'). The 'Graduation' CD was a good listen over and over. But the big difference between the two personalities is not just the different side of the musical streets they're on. Without Jay-Z, there would be no career for Kanye. As mentioned above, Taylor started at the bottom and worked hard to get to where she is. And for her to show courage on stage while Kanye is ranting away, that makes me give her extra points.

And yes, I know that this is not the first time Kanye had shown public outrageous behavior. I know the music world will probably give him another free pass, or who knows. I believe in free speech. But free speech has a hefty cost, and to me there is a difference between saying things at the right place, right time.

No comments:

Post a Comment