Wednesday, September 9, 2009

remembering '94, part deux

As I was cleaning and going through old stuff today, I found some of my old journals that I used to keep during my junior high and high school days. They totally brought back a lot of memories since I wrote a lot of details about classmates, teachers, student life, etc.

It also came to my attention that 15 years ago this month I entered the 7th grade, or junior high school. It was quite a challenging time for me, and for everyone in that age range. So much has changed since back then. Edwardsville had one junior high school (7th and 8th grade). Today, E'ville has 2 'middle schools' that have 6th-8th graders. And we have a new high school, even though it opened in '97. As for a lot of people, it took a lot of adjusting to being around so many people. While I was pretty much a loser in my post-7th grade years, I still gotta remember some of those were the best days.

I'll never forget my first day of 7th grade. It was after Labor Day (we normally start the 2nd to last week of August but that year we had a long teachers' strike), and I remember meeting all of my teachers that day. Mr. Freymuth was my first teacher, and he was awesome. Freymuth had reminded everyone he taught in that same room for over 30 years. He even reminded me that he had 2 of my older sisters. It wasn't until gym class that it got scary. It would be our first time to change clothes in front of everyone in a locker room for me, but not until the next week. As Mr. Zupanci was giving us a tour of the locker room, he stood there pointing at the bathroom stall and urinal.

'If you gotta take a shit, there's a crapper over there....'

The whole room just busted up laughing.

'...and don't be shitting on those walls. Or you'll hafta clean it up..'.

It was the first time I ever heard a teacher of mine swear, and I'm sure it was the case for everyone else. That's probably why I remember that day as if it were yesterday.

So, just thought I'd share a little more school memories on here. More to come, maybe?

No comments:

Post a Comment