Sunday, September 27, 2009

random observations with a side of guacamole

(This blog was published on Myspace on 9/15/09)

It's been awhile since I've blogged about my workplace, so I thought I'd pump something out here. Yes, I still work midnights at good ole SnS, while trying to create a new life. Whatever pays the bills, right? I know there's a lot of bad things going on no matter where you work when it comes to people at the top not thinking about what the people on the bottom rungs of the ladder feel like. As for me, I try to make my job more enjoyable by simply catching on to what society and people do as far as eating out goes.

In the last few months the latest controversy at SnS has been the new drive-thru times rule. For the majority of the day, each shift must close out with an average 2 minutes, 15 seconds drive-thru window waiting time. It's hard for me to explain this, but if you have worked at other fast-food places you'll know what I'm talking about. We (including all the general managers) know that a place like SnS have never been known for speedy fast service. We were never meant to be a typical fastfood joint like McD's and Burger King. My theory on this is that our CEO (who recently resigned) came to the conclusion where SnS just can't compete with sit-down places like Applebees, Ruby Tuesdays, Red Robin, etc. anymore, so now we're trying to be too different from anyone.

On my shift (from 10pm to 6am), pretty much the goal is at least under 3 minutes. It's still quite a challenge, but sometimes I do succeed. But in the last 2 months I've started to notice something. From Sunday to Thursday and sometimes on the weekends, drive-thru gets more customers than dining room on midnights. We all think its because people are just too cheap to tip, but there's other theories as well. In my opinion, drive-thrus were made to serve people who wanted something quick and fast. Examples include combo meals, a shake, or just an order of fries and a drink. If I'm going to take my family out to eat, I'll take them inside and make ourselves at home. But unfortunately, I've noticed that people are ordering big meals for other people in drive thru, like $20-$30 tickets. And with me and 2 people its hard to keep the times down. And even worse, people act like fools by asking for their food done in a certain way (which I don't have a problem with) but they get mad bigtime if I miss a step. Then they act like spoiled brats and start asking for condiments on the side at the window after I bring them their food. To me, this is not a common thing in drive-thru. What else is not common is that I spot people (without common sense) munching away at their food for 2-3 minutes (at the window) after they receive their food. It's my job to ask if I forgot anything, but they always say, 'Oh no, we're just eating....'. Then I have to politely ask them to leave. I call it 'picnicking' when it comes to people just chillin and eating at the DT window. When I go to Hardees and/or Taco Bell I don't sit there and eat away. Why would I want to spend more time at the window when I'm in my car and I don't have to? When it comes to being picky and snooty, I'm nothing like that. Sure, every now and then I go to Jack in the Box and get 2 tacos for 99 cents without the sauce. But just certain things like how much the bread is toasted or fries not 'burned to a crisp' is just getting out of hand. Last night, I had two guys eating 2 big meals I served them through the drive-thru and they sat in the parking lot for a long time. Hmmmm. Then like 20 minutes later they come in and say, 'Mannn. These fries taste like greasy sh*t. Lemme get new ones...'. There's also times where people can just be rude when they order while I try to say things with a smiling face.

So, I thought I'd get this one off my chest. It is my job to make sure people get their food and they leave SnS happy and well-served. But please, don't be a jerk. After all, I make your food. Watch the movie 'Waiting'. You may think I'm a piece of sh*t, but I am a hard-working honest person like you. Or maybe you're a spoiled rotten person who thinks Barack Obama/Nancy Pelosi are the saviors, and you probably sit around and get stoned watching Family Guy. I don't know. But I'll stop right there.

No comments:

Post a Comment