Wednesday, June 10, 2009

summer songs

This blog was originally published on Myspace on June 1st.

It's June 1st. To me, it's officially the start of summer. Forget what the calendar says. So time to crank up the music and enjoy fun in the sun. I thought I'd share a list of my favorite summer-themed songs:

'Cruel Summer' - Bananarama
'In The Summertime' - Mungo Jerry
'Theme from a Summer Place' - Percy Faith
'Walking On Sunshine' - Katrina & the Waves
'Summertime Blues' - Eddie Cochran
'Summer Of Love' - The B-52's
'The Boys Of Summer' - Don Henley (I really don't like the skate-punk cover by the Ataris, put out a few years ago)
'Summer In The City' - The Lovin' Spoonful
'Summer Breeze' - Seals & Crofts (I also dig the R&B version by The Isley Brothers)
'Summertime' - Miles Davis
'Summer Love' - Justin Timberlake (I know, I had to slip this one on here...)
'Hot Fun In The Summertime' - Sly & the Family Stone
'A Summer Song' - Chad & Jeremy
'Summertime Rolls' - Jane's Addiction

I also dig the intro to Meatloaf's 'You Took the Words Out Of My Mouth' where the guy says 'On a hot summer night....'

Notice I didn't put any Beach Boys songs on here. I decided to separate my favorite Beach Boys from the rest:

1. 'All Summer Long'
2. 'California Girls'
3. 'Feel Flows' (from the Almost Famous soundtrack)
4. 'Summer Of Love' (probably their last hit from '92; it was featured on Baywatch and I think Uncle Jesse was on drums)
5. 'In My Room'
6. 'Sloop John B'
7. 'Wendy'
8. 'The Warmth Of The Sun'
9. 'You're So Good To Me'
10. 'Be True To Your School' (the Endless Summer version, not the radio version w/ the cheerleaders)

No comments:

Post a Comment